My Juice cleanse is over with. If you’ve been following along with Insta Stories this past Thursday and Friday, you’ll know I did a 2-day juice cleanse sponsored by Better Juice. This is my second juice cleanse ever, except with my first cold pressed juice cleanse it was 3 days. For those of you who think you could never do one. In the words of Ben Franklin ", you can do anything you set your mind to”. I juice cleanse to help jump start my fitness goals by weaning myself off all my bad food habit and for a complete mental reset. We are all creatures of habits and in order to create new ones, you have to change your frame of mind.
The last time I did a juice cleanse I was already 2 weeks into my vegan plant-based diet. Therefore I was working out regularly, drinking lots of water, not consuming alcohol, and eating lots of veggies. I was in the best frame of mind well on my way of creating new habits. Initially, I thought I hadn’t eased into the cleanse but I pretty much did without knowing it. As a result, I didn’t have any negative side effects.
This time around my first day was a bit tougher. Day 1 consisted of me being super gassy, poopy, and experiencing headaches. TMI I know but I have to keep it real with you guys. My diet is not as great as it was last January and all these side effects confirmed that. When I got home from work, I drank a lot of water and went straight to bed at 8 pm. It was the only way I could silence my thoughts of hot wings and steak. By day 2 I woke rested, energized, and ready to seize my Friday. I started the morning with my lemon ginger shot and hot water. I made sure to drink water before and after each juice. This resulted in no gas, food daydreams or mood swings.
The Juices provided in my cleanse were :
- Lemon Ginger Shot (added to warm water first thing when you wake up)
- Tropical Paradise (green apple, pineapple, lemon, and mint)
- Beet it (beet, carrot, apple, ginger, and lemon)
- Queen Green ( kale, spinach, swiss chars, cucumber, celery, parsley, cilantro, lemon, ginger and jalapeno)
- The Hulk (kale, celery, apple, lemon, and ginger)
- Wonder Woman ( Watermelon, pineapple, coconut water, lime, and mint)
- Popeye ( spinach, cucumber, apple, pear, and lemon)
Doing a juice cleanse the second time around has provided me more insight on my advice for those of you interested in trying one.
- Should you do it? yes! if you don't like it after finishing then at least your tried and know you don't.
- Should you ease into it or jump right in? If you’re a meat eater gradually cut down on the amount of meat you are consuming leading up to your cleanse. I would recommend a week. Also, increase your water and veggie consumption leading up to it.
- When to do it? I still recommend doing it during the work week M-F =).
Better cold pressed juices can be purchased at The Calgary Farmers Market located at 510 77th Avenue SE all year-round Thursday through Sunday 9am - 5pm. Have you ever tried a juice cleanse? Comment on your experience. Can you guess which juice you think was my least favorite?
Love you leave you 🍒